Tuesday, October 7, 2014

eyes.to.See - servanthood

"... Serve one another humbly in love."
Galatians 5:13

Today I attended 'Family Chapel' at my sons' preschool, and their scripture memory verse for October is Galatians 5:13.  

(The precious child that volunteered to recite the verse said, "Love one another in Love" Ephesians 5:13!  I loved 'her' version for 2 reasons: First, how fitting that we should actually love one another out of love, not for them but for our savior.  Isn't that why we serve?  Second, Galatians, Ephesians, she was so close.  Biblical neighbors.  This was a rabbit trail in its entirety)

Serve.  Service.  Servanthood.

I try to teach my sons that their Daddy goes to work to provide for our needs.  That we need money to buy food & clothes & pay for our home.  Daddy serves us by going to work.  I hope that helps them understand that Daddy loves them & that Daddy sacrifices for them.

I try to teach my sons that I stay home with them to serve them.  My oldest son has I think a unique ability to be thankful for things like me picking up his room, folding his clothes, making his bed.  He actually thanks me,  unprompted.  I try to remember to tell him I do these things for him because I love him.

We are taking dinner to a family tonight.  I thought of them as we sat in the Chapel today & heard about how to care for one another & help when we see others in need.  I must remember to try & explain this to my sons today, and connect it to their scripture verse.  To try & point out how we can serve our friends in their time of need, in whatever way we know how.  We give to them because we love them, but also because we love the Lord who gave himself for us.

I hope examples that we are doing together as a family help make it easy to understand what it means to serve one another in love.

Lord, please help give us wisdom to serve others but also to serve one another well.  Help us to serve you first & foremost.  Let us give with cheerful hearts & not begrudgingly, for how are those we seek to serve to accept our 'gift' if we serve them without a loving heart?  Lord thank you for chances to have eyes.to.See & ears.to.Hear when the things in our lives match up to your words & teaching.  Would you give my boys eyes.to.See the gift of servanthood?  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I love you sons interpretation of Galatians 5:13 . :-) It reminds me of the song, "They will know we are Christians by our love". Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete