Thursday, October 2, 2014

eyes.to.See - obedience

"Then the Lord asked Moses, "Who makes a person's mouth?  Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see?  Is it not I, the Lord?""
Exodus 4:11

I am continuously amazed by how the Scriptures speak into my life, especially when I'm not looking for it.  Today I attended a Bible Study Fellowship meeting, totally unprepared because of a busy week & a heart so expectant for this writing challenge.  And the Lord met me there.  Speaking to me about eyes.to.See & ears.that.hear & this mouth of mine that he's made.  I am so blessed to feel his comfort & his promise that when I feel inadequate.  I like Moses, he reminds me his power & purpose will supersede my own.

OBEDIENCE.

  Teaching my sons what obedience means appears easy.  It seems to be simple.  You hear the words, you do them.  Not a deep concept really, but the action of obedience takes the power of WILL.  Sometimes my boys hear me, sometimes they don't listen.  Sometimes my boys hear me, and listen, but choose to disobey.  They either think their way is better, what they are doing is more important, or that what I asked can wait.  It all boils down to disobedience.  

How do I teach them?  Do I always hear & choose to obey? no, I don't.  I battle the same will.  It take active listening, active posture to hear & not ignore, active heart to surrender my will to the Lord's (or my sons to mine).  I do share with them that they must obey mommy because the Lord gave them that job.  That their obedience to me, is obedience to God.  I must be obedient to the Lord & teach them the same.  He gave them to me; he made them my sons.

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right."
Ephesians 6:1 ESV

Does it turn out to be an easy lesson? (are you laughing yet?)  nope.  Not easy, not simple.  Obedience feels so complicated, because we make it out to be that way.  But when you do choose to obey, not to second guess, not to question, it is simple.  Reality of life & all the temptations that we face can muddy the waters of even the simplest acts of obedience to the Lord.  

Lord may you continue to teach me how to listen actively for your voice & your directions.  May I model obedience to my children, that they may see me surrender my will to yours.  That they may feel safe surrendering their will to mine.  Lord give me wisdom to be kind in asking for obedience, to teach, re-teach, and serve my sons as they grow.  That I may teach the importance of obeying quickly without delay, but that I may not ask for anything outside of what is a benefit to them & our family.  Thank you Lord for never becoming frustrated with my disobedience the way I do with my boys'.  You always forgive Lord, give me the grace to give my forgiveness cheerfully as well.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment