Friday, October 24, 2014

eyes.to.See - gentleness



"But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard - things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity.  We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal our energies wisely."
Galatians 5:22-23 the message

Gentleness. 

I am not always gentle. I am rarely truly gentle.  I'm more like a bull in a china shop of gentleness.  But my Savior is gentle.  And some days, in some small moments, I know what gentleness really is.

When I tell my sons, "be gentle!" It is usually because they are playing roughly with each other. When my youngest was born, the most common request in our house was, 'be gentle'.  Touch with 'soft' hands.  Don't hurt.  Make your hands move slowly. 

It is an interesting idea that God's gentleness & my own definition of gentleness.  His being sort of hard for me to define. And mine basically meaning, "don't handle roughly".  A state of being gentle. An action.  Which makes it easier for me to consider what we should look for in the fruit of gentleness, the action. 

Lord, please grow gentleness in my life.  Make me more gentle for those I love, my husband, my boys, my family & friends.  Teach me how to model a gentle hand in life.  As I model how to use hands to hold & not hurt.  Thank you for your gentleness. Thank you for cultivating it in my life. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment