Sunday, October 19, 2014

eyes.to.See - justice

"And the heavens proclaim his righteousness, for he is a God of justice."
Psalm 50:6



"It is unthinkable that God would do wrong, that the Almighty would pervert justice."
Job 34:12

Justice.

Sometimes I can be caught up in the 'injustices' that occur in this life, both grand scale & small, trivial injustices.  Lies that are never uncovered.  Secrets & stories kept hidden.  I would like to insist that all must come under what I can see & understand as 'justice'.

But that's false. I.am.not.God.  He alone delivers justice & He alone is righteous.  Not me. Am I left to sit without resolution? Yes. Sometimes I am.

Job waited for resolution.  His story so much more FULL of injustice than mine.  Am I to expect any more for my life?

Daniel saw injustice in his life.  He was kidnapped from his home & forced to serve in a foreign land.  His friends were thrown into the fiery furnace.  He served his whole life & in his 80s was thrown into the lions den.  Daniel was given dreams & understanding of those dreams that I cannot even fathom.

I noticed something about Daniel today in church listening to my father-in-law speak about the lions' den.  When Daniel was brought out of the den the next morning he said...

"My God sent his angel to shut the lions' mouths so that they would not hurt me, 
for I have been found innocent in his sight..."
Daniel 6:22

Daniel said he was found innocent in the Lord's sight.  The Lord delivered him.  That is the picture of 'justice' that makes sense to me.  But what if he hadn't?  Well, the book of Daniel holds the most dear answer to that question for me.  Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego told the king...

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us.  He will rescue us from you power, your majesty.  But even if he doesn't, we want to make it clear to you, your majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statues you have set up."
Daniel 3:17-18

God is in charge.  He is good.  He will bring about justice in His timing.  I trust in his sovereignty.  I trust in his righteousness.  I can bring to him in prayer those 'injustices' that I see around me.  I can ask Him to come, to bring justice, and to bring resolution.  but even if He does not, he is still just.

The real question then becomes, can I trust God?

Lord help me to trust you, for justice will come in your time.  You are a righteous God, and you will not pervert justice.  Forgive me for when I feel entitled to justice.  I am not righteous, only you are Lord.  Teach me how to teach my sons about justice & you.  Let them see your perfect will as sovereign.  Let them accept what you give in this life, and say thanks.  Thank you for all you give, what feels good & what feels bad.  Thank you for lions' dens & fiery furnaces & all you give in the midst.  Give us eyes.to.See you, in everything.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment