Wednesday, October 22, 2014

eyes.to.See - growth

"I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; 
apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:5








Growth.

My boy came home today with a pumpkin from school.  He took it outside & tried to find it a good place to be planted.  He wanted it to grow.  He didn't understand when I tried to tell him that the stem had been cut, it had been cut off of its vine.  The vine sustains the pumpkin, allows it to grow.

He was upset with me for that answer.  and I understand.  He wanted his little pumpkin to grow big.

I know I do that in my life.  I expect to find the right spot, plant myself or my project, and grow into the big, orange, beauty of a pumpkin.  But that isn't how growing a pumpkin works.  And the analogy of our faith is clear.

Apart from the Lord, we can do nothing.  Apart from the vine, the pumpkin will not grow.  So remain. abide. grow. bear fruit.

Lord, please hear my heart that I desire to bear fruit.  I know I cut myself off & attempt to do it on my own.  Lord teach me how to abide.  Teach me how to bear fruit, to grow.  Teach my sons how to remain in your love.  remain, and not cut themselves off.  Lord may they bear fruit, and may I see it with my eyes.  What a beautiful thing to behold.  Thank you for your growth; thank you for making us fruitful.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment