Thursday, October 1, 2015

Day 1: Intro to Reflections of a Teacher.turned.Momma

Welcome!  I am looking forward to participating in the #write31Days challenge hosted by www.write31days.com this year.  This is my 3rd series, and I cannot wait to see where it takes me!  Thank you for reading, and feel free to send comments my way.  :-)


     This year my oldest son started kindergarten.  It has launched me into some interesting reflections on my own teaching career: how it impacted me, how I impacted others, things I now remember after walking through his school, and more.  It is a strange feeling to be on the other side of the desk, to be a visitor in the halls.  I am not in charge, and it is hard to accept.

     I have always been a firm believer in self-evaluation, and I know when I was teaching, I continually was striving to do my best for my students.  Now, in hindsight, the self-evaluation is coming from many other angles: how did my students perceive me?  What do they remember?  Did their parents like me?  What did I do (if anything) to be likable?  Because 'being liked' wasn't my main goal, but rather teaching the students and challenging them to work hard & know more & grow was my goal.  I know my classes were tough, but it was my gift to my students: it would have been easier for me to teach an easy class!

   I love running into my former students around town, and it is one of the blessings of small-town-life!  It is such a joy to see them now, hear what they are doing & where they are living, hear their memories of our time together in class.  I never cease to be amazed.  The clarity of hindsight has given me new perspective on what I thought mattered, and what inevitably mattered the most.  I cannot wait to take the time & metal breaks to explore my memories.

I hope that gives you an idea of what to anticipate in this series.  Check back at the top tab to see a table of contents for this series.  Thank you for reading!

Blessings,
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment