Thursday, August 25, 2011

A day in the life... blog-sitting

I wanted to share my 'blog-sitting' post with you- and to keep in my blog book as well since it was kind of an epiphany for me.  :-)  You can see my sweet friend Meredith's blog Living Simply by following the link.


A day in the life of the Prose Family.

I’ve been trying to think of how I would like to plan out this little window into our world, and I have debated between planning out an awesome day that I can then blog about so that we look awesome. J haha, or, actually blog a real day- or a combination of what we do actually do and the normal struggle that we strive against as well.

So, here you are followers of the fantastic blog that Meredith does- a normal-ish day for us.  What is our current state of normal?? THAT is a very good question.

We have just moved to a new city and are trying to get settled in and figure it out.  My amazing hubby just started in a new territory which basically is like a whole new job because his job relies heavily on your relationships.  We have a 19 month old little boy, James, who is awesome, but very much a high energy toddler!  And, last but not least, but maybe smallest, is our newest addition, Hayden, who is just shy of 4 weeks old.

Yes, Normal?? Not quite yet.

Today we walked up to the corner grocery store for fun and to get out of the house this morning.  Also, so that this mommy can start exercising again and get back in shape!  It was just under a mile each way, so a nice little walk with my boys to grab some birthday cards and more whole milk for my ‘big boy.’  It felt great- It was quiet. James loves walking and is oddly enough totally captivated by just getting out and seeing some different things.  He does take after his parents, a total people watcher.  Lil Hayden slept the whole way there and back- what a blessing for his tired momma!

Yes. Success this mommy felt.

Back to the house- one messy snack for James and one attempt to feed and soothe Hayden later, Daddy came to our rescue.  Haha.  We were just up in the boys’ room so James could read some books before his nap and have some quiet time, but poor Hayden wasn’t really ready to settle, so Daddy made nap time possible.  It is so tough to get stuck trying to take care of the needs of one child only to feel torn not meeting the immediate need of the other.  I definitely feel that strain more on days when I haven’t had my own quiet time- time for mommy to pray for patience and courage not to feel overwhelmed by both boys crying at once. 

No.  lack of success this mommy felt.

Afternoon of one too-short-toddler-nap plus one cranky-fussy-baby-who-won’t-nap = one tired momma.  = one take out pizza order.

But, we did get outside with Daddy and did some gardening at the end of the afternoon.  Our big boy was so much fun to watch as he was ‘helping’ Daddy pull weeds, rake, haul yard clippings, and whatever else he thought Daddy was doing.  His toy lawn mower going, going.  Of course, Hayden fell asleep over my shoulder so I didn’t get to help as much as I had hoped.

Yes, no?? feelings of success? Feelings of frustration?

Great dinner with my awesome husband and James was very well behaved at dinner.  Yes moment.  Story time for James and overly drawn out bed time.  No moment.  Hayden Crying, but Matt taking him for me to finally get a shower.  Yes, No??

A day in the life… our life currently seems hinged upon this hormonal, sleep deprived momma’s amount of courage to tackle each different scenario during the day.  So many days I think the Lord for his provisions, and just for any quiet moment I can go to him for help or for thankfulness.  I am reminded that these days pass too quickly, while my sweet baby is just that.  A baby.  And my sweet toddler is just that.  A toddler.  I can count my blessings to have them in my life everyday- whether there are Yes moments or not.  My success as a mother, or my own feelings of accomplishment aren’t so easy to measure.  I’m hopeful that the patience I can show in the No moments will be a better measure than the pride I can take away from the ‘Yes’ moments.

Thanks for reading.  Thanks for sharing in our small, unimpressive life.  Our hope is to glorify the Lord in what we do, no matter how significant the action itself.  May I remind myself of that! J

1 comment:

  1. loved reading your post! Wondering when you had time to actually write this! miss you!

    ReplyDelete