Monday, August 9, 2010

Baby Books that I recommend


I have a few trusted baby books that I really couldn't live without!! I try to pass on as much as I can to people when I know they are looking for a good book or tool, but I thought why not put it on the blog too! Here are some of my FAVorites. :-)

1. for baby names: Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana What to Name your Baby Now by Rosenkrantz & Satran

I have to thank my sis-in-law Darcy for this one!! This book is great because it divides all the names into categories, ex: style, popularity, Image, Sex, Tradition, Family. I read the parts I was most interested in first, and then for fun read the others. MUCH better than a list of thousands of names.

2. for sleep: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD.

I have to thank Meredith McDaniel for this one. :-) I really loved this book, and it is great because it grows with the child up through preschool and adolescence. I started reading it when James was about 3 months old, and it really helped me understand sleep and what he needed as well as tell me what to do!! haha, but really, it has choices for what you feel comfortable doing, so you don't end up doing something like crying it out if you don't want to. I LOVE this book, tell everyone I can about it.

3. for making your own baby food: The Baby & Toddler Cookbook Fresh, homemade foods for a healthy start published by William Sonoma

I have to thank Matt's cousin's wife, Nikki Lyon for this one. I am staying at home, so I thought that I should make my own baby food since I have the time. No real reason not to I thought. But, I am not a confident cook, so I needed a guide. This cookbook is great because it has recipies to help the baby get a good variety of foods to expand their tastes as well as organizing the book by age so you follow the book as the child's needs change. I really like it, and I'm becoming a better cook too!

4. for health: Caring for your Baby and Young Child Birth to Age 5 endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics

Our Pediatric group actually gave us this reference guide when we were in the hospital. They said if we read it, we could save ourselves the time and money of coming to the Dr. with every question about our child. And, he was right. It is very informative and empowering as far as being confident that you know what is going on with your child's development and health. And it tells you when you need to see the Dr. So, weight off your shoulders.

Hope you enjoy my recommendations!! :-)

ps. here is a pic of James. Should I wear my bow tie to Best Buy?? Yes, I believe I should.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I feel so famous now that I'm on the web :) Btw, James really is extraordinarily cute.

    ReplyDelete