Thursday, January 6, 2022

September 2020

September, what a blur! The boys had school on their computers every day, but David got to go to VPK in person. It was disconcerting to say the least, but also because I wasn't allowed to take the older boys off their computers to drop him off or pick him up. I was told they would be given unexcused absences for it! So, I left them on FaceTime while I would drive the 1.5 miles to drop David off. I am so thankful I didn't have to go far- it was really hard for me to do. But David had a very good experience! He learned so much, and his brothers were able to get most of their school things done while he was away. I could help them  easier and it seemed we were all busy, all the time. So strange to send my last little one to his last year of preschool!


Sweet Jo and Calvin at the table  just hanging out one morning.


Highlight of our September days? Soccer practice in the afternoons. Check out this frog the boys found. So much joy- our Wednesdays were 4.5 hours at the fields, so we would pick up a picnic dinner and hang out under the big trees. It was actually really relaxing because there were no chores for anyone at the soccer field! Play time all around.



David doing frog jumps like the frog. 


My oldest always looks so old to me, in a startling way usually. I cannot believe how much he has grown.


Got my silhouette prints in their frames!


Oh you know, just all the boys + Zac + Matt on the couch, upside-down.




Grandpa!! I have no idea where they are in this picture. I cannot remember! But it doesn't matter much- the four of them jumping in Grandpa's lap in a great memory no matter what. 


You can never beat the beach for me. And all four of my boys in one frame. I absolutely love it.


One of my favorite new to me recipes of 2020: Cacio e Pepe! Which means cheese + pepper. But you have to try with Buccatini pasta- soooo good.


Young Life hang out Fall 2020- it was soo good to see these girls again!!


And to kick back off with my campaigners! Which turned into 'mini-club' on Monday nights. It was our attempt to have something like club in a smaller setting for covid reasons. I loved trying it out, but missed the sweetness of campaigners and the excitement of our big club. We were grateful for what we had though!

Me winning at life because I cleaned out this corner of the garage. and James winning at life in his Ohio State sweatshirt.


Virtual school day in the family room.


Calvin and his super wiggly front tooth, and then he pulled it himself!! That hair cut though, haha! I need the bangs back.


One of our favorite new library finds. I took the boys to the big library since they didn't get to go to their school library during online school. They enjoyed the trips!


Those trees on our Wednesdays at the soccer fields- always so beautiful. And thankfully one they could climb only when they got pretty big and strong. haha!


James' costume came in early, so he had to try it on. I had to order him an adult cosplay costume- that was a bit of a shock! In the spirit of Star Wars, Hayden put on his droid commander costume- the more the merrier!!


September was a challenge. We all had to get used to new routines of school. The boys all had alarms set other phones for the beginning of each class so they wouldn't get counted tardy (yes they did that). And none of them had lunch scheduled at the same time. David got used to going to school, and he loved playing with friends. They were all such close friendships too- much more than the older boys ever had. I tried to find some kind of rhythm for running our household while all the school things were happening. I know the Peloton was a great source of stress relief for me to be able to work out while still at home with them all day everyday. But all the boys were such great sports. Calvin adapted to having to stay on the computer screen for hours at a time for second grade. It made him cry some days when he just felt tired of sitting anymore. James really got the hang of his study skills and making sure he was doing all his work; I hardly had to help him stay on track. What fun to watch that progress! Hayden was my tech support guy, and he worked out all our issues during the day. Matt had upgraded our internet so they boys could all get enough internet strength to not glitch in their meetings. He got them all chrome books to make it easier. It was a unique adventure.

Thank you Lord for all the ways you brought us joy during this time when we felt so many losses. Thank you for all the good ideas and the ways the boys and I learned to overcome obstacles to their learning. Thank you Lord for how close the boys became as they were the only friends each other had during those days. Thank you for all the jokes and games I got to see and play with them. I got to be around for all the moments of frustration and happiness. It was a great joy and privilege. Thank you Lord for giving it to me! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment