Friday, August 25, 2017

A is for April

April, you are so lovely.  You always treat us so kindly with your cool mornings&evenings, but your warm days.  We look forward to all the blooming flowers & the warmth of the sun coming back.  We reveled in our extended time outside for soccer practices.  As hard as it was to get ourselves there, it was always such a treat to sit & watch & breath the fresh air.  I love the forced time outside where no chores follow.

April, you were special for so many reasons.  Matt&I just started our journey as Young Life leaders, after we felt the call to get outside ourselves and join in a ministry opportunity right here, in our back yard.  We are so grateful for the timing, the launch of the OP club was just days away.  So we spent a lot of time prepping, doing club, meeting kids, going to school lunch, and learning about what it means to be a YL leader.  As much as it is a giving away of self, it is an absolute joy!  The upside-down kingdom of God: where as you pour out, more than you imagine is poured back.  You can't anticipate it; you can't explain it.  It defies logic; it is all God's grace!

Also? I read a book that is going on my 'forever a fan' list.  Madeline L'Engle (who wrote the Wrinkle in Time books) was a Christian, and her discussion of what it means to be a 'Christian' writer was absolutely incredible.  I felt so encouraged, boosted, challenged, and emboldened.  A must read for any Christian in any creative space.



David with a corndog in hand.  Oh.My!  Dinner time became a little bit of a challenge as we were always at the soccer field during dinner, so on this night, momma packed corndogs to eat.  David honestly LOVED them.  He could not get enough, and it cracked me up!  He also started to walk on the soccer field, not to mention he started dribbling the soccerball basically when he learned to walk! If he becomes a soccer player, we'll have to attribute that to early development of skills. ha!


Calvin asked to go to Disney for his birthday, and since we had one remaining day from our trip in Jan, we said sure!  We were happy to be able to say 'yes' to him; he felt so excited!  We went to Hollywood Studies because they have all the Star Wars stuff, and the boys just had a ball.  It was a great day.





Jedi Training round 2 was just as fun as it was the first time.  It doesn't get old for these Star Wars enthusiasts! Can you spot Calvin, James, & Hayden?




Momma forgot the baby's shoes since I put him in the car in his PJ sleeper, so we bought everybody some Star Wars socks since no baby shoes worked well.  I spent less on 6 pairs of socks than one pair of shoes anyway! haha.  So all the boys changed into new socks, and David used his socks to keep his feet off the ground.  I love it.


This was the end of the day.  Two little guys who were asleep before the parking lot.


April, normally I only get to enjoy peonies in May, but this year you surprised me.  I won't lie, I loved having them on my breakfast table all month long.  It was absolutely lovely.  And my little sidekick for contact work at the high school.  David made it easy to make friends at the school for sure!  Everyone wanted to say hi to him. :-)



Calvin had an Easter Egg hunt in his class at preschool, so David&I got to go with him.  It is always fun to see him in his environment at school, and he is so proud of what he gets to show me.  I love being able to be there with him!


Calvin&David.  My little guy looking like such a big guy next to my littlest guy.  The dichotomy of what 'big' and 'small' truly are as you watch children grow.


Swimming season came a bit early for us, and the boys could not wait!  I absolutely love the view in my backyard.


For Easter, I tried on a jon-jon (?) that Calvin wore to John&Kelsey's wedding when he was about 13 months old.  Needless to say it BARELY fit David, and I got such a good little giggle out of seeing him squeeze into it for just one day. Those little baby loafers & his sweet little legs.  Gah! He was so cute.


Our boys ended up sick over Easter this year, so no getting dressed up or egg hunt at church.  We all stayed home together.  James decided he would make an egg hunt for his brothers in the front yard, so that's what they did!


And we went swimming.  Easter Sunday swimming.


I made all these rice krispy easter eggs with sprinkles, and couldn't take them to church!  Such a bummer.  But we didn't mind eating way too many.


I started reading the Chronicles o Narnia with the older boys, and they absolutely loved it!!  Honestly, so do I.  I love reading these stories, and so I never struggle to get the motivation to read together.  I'm hoping that my reading aloud will foster more than just a love of reading, but stir deep in their hearts the truths that Lewis weaves through these books.

Calvin is 4!!  His Mickey&the roadster racers party was an absolute blast.  He is a great kiddo- super sweet, and he wins for most giggles of anyone, ever.  We absolutely adore this kid.


Happy Birthday Calvin!!  We love you so.


James & his 'dab'.  Never before have I thought the dab was cool, until now.


Mimi came up to watch the little boys while I went to the kindergarten field trip to the zoo!  What an awesome day that I spent with Hayden.  I loved being able to go- Thank you Mimi!!



Lord, thank you for April.  We were able to celebrate so many things, and you called us to new journeys.  I am grateful for all your provision for us, for the wonderful babysitter who kept our boys during all the YL events, and for Mimi who comes to make field trips so special.  Thank you for soccer & all we got to learn together.  Thank you for the boys' great schools, and thank you for Easter, even celebrated at home.  We are excited for our future, and how you are planning YL included in it.  Thank you Lord for a pivotal moment in our life, and thank you for speaking to our hearts to jump in.  I pray the boys would always know why YL is important, and I pray it blesses them in a way we can't yet know.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment