Sunday, January 7, 2024

hello December

Welcome December & welcome Advent season! The boys seems to enjoy and remember the Bible stories leading up to Christmas better each year, and I am so thankful we have continued to practice this type of 'counting the days' till Christmas. It feels so significant to me, and I am continually humbled by it.


The tree has been chosen and decorated! Let all the twinkling lights and anticipation begin.


I ask the boys to sit on the wood floor when they are having hot chocolate or a low key meal while watching a movie. I love seeing them all piled together; it will never get old.


We took the boys and our nieghbor Zac to see the Walk Thru Bethlehem in Keystone Heights. It is one of the sweet traditions passed down by the Proses at their old church. We have tried to always go, and we like to eat dinner at Johnny's before hand. David was writing a letter to Santa, and it was just too good. He said, "Dear Santa, I have been good (scratch that), very good this year, David. I'm still dead.
 

Here they are outside the sheep pen. They always enjoyed the Roman soldiers, mostly trying to annoy them.


These are just a few of the things that made me happy. Shopping at Willie's and their festive and fun gift wrap. Wrapping my own presents in Rifle Paper Co wrapping paper and tying with a fun ribbon.


This was kind of a sad day in our house. Our neighbor Zac was moving across town, and it was the last time we have seen him (even to this present day as I type). He was a difficult blessing to receive, but that is always the upside down kingdom. The things that seem difficult to do and make you crazy often come back to be a source of sweet tender blessing when we give them to the Lord. He was a great example of how the Lord softened my heart and helped me love someone that was inconvenient to love, and as much as I laugh at myself for saying so, I do miss seeing him. and I find myself wondering how he is doing, but maybe that is the Lord's way of reminding me to pray for him. I am glad we knew him in close proximity for those couple of years.


Our Christmas Young Life Club and Cole telling me he was leaving over Thanksgiving break. I was sad mad about it, but the Lord's plans for us are good. Even when he asks us to give up things we love doing, like Young Life.


I truly loved serving these girls and loving them the best ways I could while raising my sons. It is amazing what opening your home and heart does for you! They were a gift to me, and I will cherish it.


The boys won the dress up contest for their school's 'reindeer run' which was a Christmas time activity in their PE class.




This book called 'Advent' by Fleming Rutledge has been really lovely to read through myself at Advent this year. The way she talks about Advent as practice in waiting for the return of Jesus was my favorite part, and how the parable of the 10 virgins on the front felt so different when you look at it from the standpoint of making yourself ready as you wait. There isn't a way to 'share' that kind of 'oil' for your lamp. It has to be done yourself, and it really opened up that parable to my heart. 

The picture of the tree is the one my nieces decorate with the ornaments I've given them over the years! How sweet is that?



These are Bibles I bought for my Dad and for Matt from a company that does really great leather work. I was so excited to see how they turned out! They are beautiful, and I hope they become well loved.


The boys are still young enought (and good enough sports) to do funny little things at Christmas time like ride a train in St. Mary to see Santa. We stopped going to the mall to see Santa in 2020 when covid hit, but this was a great alternative choice.


Hot chocolate and Daddy bought them these goofy hats or light up necklaces! haha, Calvin picked a baby Yoda one.



Santa and David! Calvin wanted to see him a little close but was shy about asking. Luckily we saw him after the train ride was over and got to take a picture with him.



The holidays in December can really wear you out and/or make you sick enough to sleep on the couch.



James getting to light our candles! Lots of them on the wreath now. Boys were building gingerbread houses at the kitchen table.


Matt hosted a Christmas dinner for his employees at Congaree and Penn this year, and it also served as a goodbye to one of his partners, Lisa. It was a lovely meal and a really nice send off. I hope Lisa felt the appreciation of the team, and we wish her the best!



This is Hermione 'sniffing' at the back door. She will lay there and take this really silly sounding deep breath through her nose. The boys lose their minds when I do an impersonation of her smelling for her cat through the door. They are so funny!


Life doesn't get better than a beautiful day and some onesie pajamas. Why not go outside and sit upside down?


Our annual Christmas firetruck parade! We look forward to this every year, and this time we invited Brit and her kiddos to come over to watch. They enjoyed it too.


The 6 of us lighting the Advent wreath candle at church. The boys all helped read the passages, and it was really sweet of them to ask us.


So many candles! Christmas is so close!! I got this Amaryllis bulb from one of my YL girls, Emerson. It started blooming just before Christmas, and I was really excited to see how pretty it turned out.


This was a donation for a family who needed help with their boys' Christmas wishes. It was really touching to be able to buy items for their twin boys and older brother. My boys really loved helping choose what to buy for them from their requests, and it was humbling to see how much and little we were giving, especially compared to what my boys receive. 


We got to enjoy a the Prose family Christmas a little early this year! John and Kelsey came in town just before Christmas, and we were able to be together with Matt's whole family for a few days. James in his Santa sunglasses was a big hit.



Everyone wanted to get in this picture with Santa James! haha


The excitement of early Christmas!! We are so grateful for family to celebrate with us.





What an awesome crew we had for Jim's Christmas Eve service. Emmanuel, God with us.



It's Christmas morning!!!




David made us this ornament in his kindergarten class, and he wrapped it with colorful drawings.


More fun ornament creations from school using ID photo leftovers!



I believe we called his 'merry droid-mas' for James! He got very surprised with lots and lots of droids for Christmas.


Calvin as always had a thing for a bow and arrow. This year, we saw this really cool dude perfect one, but it was out of production. We found some on ebay but they were way to expensive. But, that doesn't stop Matt Prose. He found one on facebook marketplace, and it wasn't crazy expensive. Calvin was so surprised! I had told him it wasn't something we could get, and you can see that on his face! haha









Snorlax, Mbappe, and more droids!! Renaldo and Tadic made an appearance too.





Fifa and even more droids!!!


The boys got a new switch as a group gift this year. They couldn't believe their good luck!!





I think they were happy. Here is Matt with his gifts from me.




Christmas plates and homemade cinnamon rolls!



Christmas dinner! The Proses drove up to join us.


Grandpa playing dance dance revolution with the boys was a great memory.


We drove up to see Grammy and Papa after Christmas day was over, but Matt didn't get to come with us. The weather was nice as you can tell from our clothes in the pictures, and the boys loved playing in the woods and using their orbees guns.


Michelle and Brendan came from Christmas gift exchange too!










I found a first edition of Dune for my Mom! It was a book club edition, but I really loved the cover artwork the most. Great find from Chamblins bookmine here is Jacksonville.





Michelle and Brendan gave us wedding photos! They are beautiful, and we have ours up in our family room.









Woods, forts, orbeez gun wars and good old fashioned duels with the orbeez. 


James really enjoys getting to be taller than each of our family memebers, one at a time. I enjoy it too!


I gave Matt his gifts when we got home. He and I both got new bathrobes! They are cozy.




Yaaay! The amaryllis bloomed!


I saw this picture from 2016 when it was David's first Christmas, and he got this giraffe as a gift. The boys look so small next to it, so we re-created it. The boys look huge, or that giraffe has shrunk. It still looks like some kind of swap out with the giraffe, but I swear its the same one.


These were the top pictures of 2021 for our family! Our boys at the beach, David's graduation from preschool, My mom&dad's 40th wedding anniversary, Matt&I at Hamilton, Michelle&Brendan's wedding, our family ski trip, finding megalodon teeth, watching Trevor Lawrence play for the Jags, and Matt&I's anniversary in Key West. What an incredible year!!!


I made a different one of my favorite YL moments of 2021! Took my girls shark tooth hunting, Matt&I dressed up as tiger king, Sk8ties night, Escape room, Campaigners, Crud Wars, Halloween, the Screamer, and weekend camp. I love these so much!


Thank you Lord for an incredible year. What beauty and what love we were able to see and share. There were plenty of days filled with worry and anxiety, but when I see just a part of what my life holds, I am amazed by how much goodness fills it up. I am truly blessed with an abundant life, and Lord help me continue to do all that you have prepared ahead of time for me to do. Make my hands and arms and legs strong to hold all you have for me to hold, Lord. Prepare me for what you want me to do. Thank you for giving me the strength to do it! and help me to know you better, everyday. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment