Friday, June 17, 2011

toddler bed success!!

I wanted to just document for my own sake (my memory is not the most accurate sometimes, haha. Just ask my sweet husband) the first few days of the toddler bed.  I know I posted last that we had no intention of switching him over just yet, but well, we did.  He wanted to.

We got our amazing blessing of a deal and got it all set up on the 8th of June just before James' 17 month mark.  We didn't put him in it that night, but the next day I attempted to put him down for a late afternoon nap.  Those are sometimes not successful even in his crib, so I didn't think anything of it when he wasn't having any part of it.  (I'm already having a hard time keeping track, haha it was only just over a week ago!)

Needless to say, I think it was Saturday night that Matt said, "you know, I don't want him to think its just a toy.  Why don't we put him to bed in it?"  I'm thinking, ok well I'm sure he won't stay in it.  Matt thought the same thing- no way he will stay in bed.  We haven't had a successful nap in it yet, so no way.

Wrong! haha.  He slept the whole night in it, never got up once.  Crazy boy!  We were so nervous I think both of us slept with one eye on the monitor, afraid he would fall out of bed or get up when we weren't watching.  Thank goodness for a video monitor.  Thank goodness for a baby gate that we could put up on the outside of his door frame to keep him safe should he learn to open the door for the first time in the night.  Whew- my hubby was a quick thinker with that one.

Now, I can't remember if it was one night or two that he slept fine, no getting up.  But, by the third night he decided it would be a good idea to get up and come after us.  Enter: Silent return to bed method.  Thank you sleep book, Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child.  First night, it did take Matt around 30 min or so to accomplish bed time, with around 25 or so returns to bed.  Second night, my turn.  around 15 min total with maybe 10-12 returns.  Third night, my turn. 2 TOTAL RETURNS.  He stayed for around 10 min, then up once.  10 more, up second time.  Now, DOWN.  It has been maybe three nights now that he goes down, no problem.  No getting up.  And now, he naps there too, no getting up.  We even hit a record 3 hour nap yesterday in his big boy bed.  Go James!!!

So there you have it.  Our unintentional attempt actually led to the complete change over within a week.  All almost exactly on his 17 month mark.  Never saw that one coming! haha

Coming soon... the first hair cut!  Our new house has harder water or something and his hair isn't curling like it did in Hickory.  The tangles and the mullet effect are working together to encourage his first hair cut.  Can't wait for the photo op!

Just to have a picture in this post, here is one from the fountain.  Once he got the hang of it, he jumped right it.  But, I thought it was soo sweet to see him holding Daddy's hand when he was a little nervous still. :-)  We have such a sweet boy.  I love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment